13 min read
Why Product Recommendation Quiz Drives Ecommerce Sales in 2021?Apparently, these quizzes are flames of a fire, started by BuzzFeed that no one can douse! The popularity is immense and now ecommerce marketers use these interactive quizzes for customer intel. If your ecommerce sales are in a slump, you are not alone. It happens to even the best of brands. Yet, there are a few of them that have cracked the code and are celebrating their conversion rate spikes. Yes, they have been able to drive ecommerce sales and conversions through a product recommendation quiz. Let's see how! In short, ecommerce recommendation quizzes are a game-changer. Being engaging, they make website visitors become interested in your products. All you have to do is excite them with a “made only for you” quiz and voilà!
But, What Is a Product Recommendation Quiz?When you go to a store, you’d want a salesperson to assist you in finding the right product according to your needs, right? The same can be said about online shopping. However, the dilemma that comes with choice overload is real. Did you know - this choice overload even leads to cart abandonment? According to ongoing research by the Baymard Institute, 69.57% of customers abandon their online shopping carts. Spending hours searching for the right product can be tiresome and no one really wants that. A product recommendation quiz does the job for you. It provides the user with a suggestion based on their inputs. The quiz delivers a personalized outcome to the user making the entire shopping experience engaging and fruitful. You can then go on to link the recommended products to your website and complete the sales cycle. Remember, the primary goal behind the best product recommendation quiz should always be to provide value to the customers. Try this makeup quiz to get an idea!
So, How to Make a Product Recommendation Quiz?Be it a personalized skincare quiz, or a quiz that recommends gadgets, everyone wants customization. An ecommerce quiz aims at customizing the outputs based on the inputs. But, how should you go about creating it? Creating a product quiz, like any other type of content, requires you to first come up with an idea that aims to provide value to your target audience. Then, you need to take the following steps:
1. Picking a Layout:Picking a layout is a very crucial step in making an ecommerce recommendation quiz. You need to choose a layout that goes well with your idea, brand image and supports your content in an engaging way.
2. Setting the Title:Did you know? - 8 out of 10 people discontinue reading after having read the headline. So, you gotta make that first impression right! Your title should clearly state your offering so that it grabs the readers’ attention and makes them interact with your quiz.
3. Crafting Questions:To provide your audience with a personalized experience, you need to know their opinion. Make your questions appropriate so that they align with the recommendations that you provide. With Outgrow’s diverse set of question types, you can make the experience even more customized.
4. Creating a Lead Generation Form:You might attract a huge amount of traffic to your quiz, but will they all make a purchase there and then? Nope, not happening. But, it’s not that they won’t ever make a purchase. You just need to gather their contact details so that you can retarget them in the future. A lead generation form does the job for you. There, you just got another hack for increasing your sales.
5. Setting up Product Recommendations:When you are making a product quiz, you need to give your audience an outcome that they were looking for. Provide them recommendations that entice them to take action.
6. Product Linking & CTA:Adding products is not enough, you need to link them to the site where the user can purchase from. Moreover, adding an effective call to action (CTA) gives you the chance to motivate your prospects to take real steps toward becoming a customer. Using a CTA button also increases the click-through rate by 28%, hence increasing the chances of conversion. To understand these steps in detail, read our blog on How To Create E-commerce Recommendation Quizzes Like A Pro. This blog will give you a detailed description of how to create a product recommendation quiz. Once you’ve created your product quiz, it’s important to analyze its performance. You need to take the following steps for the same:
7. Tracking and Automating Responses:It's important to track the responses that you receive. Moreover, you can also send automated responses to users when they complete taking the quiz. Well, you can do this and much more on Outgrow.
8. Analyzing Results:Understanding how well your quiz is performing is important for you to grow. You can analyze your content piece’s performance in great detail with Outgrow’s Analyze Tab.
9. Reviewing Performance:Outgrow’s Performance tab provides you with an overall score based on your content composition. Furthermore, it will also give you recommendations regarding the areas that have a scope for improvement.
10. Relating ContentThe Relate tab helps you understand how certain user parameters affect the engagement of your quiz so that you can make changes accordingly. We think it’s time for you to use a quiz maker to add a product quiz to your website. You can also learn how to create one by watching this explainer video:
How Can You Benefit From Product Recommendation Quizzes?
Use It to Offer a Personalized ExperienceOn an ecommerce website, a quiz is your salesperson. The good thing is, your customers will be willing to chat and won’t squirm like they do at the sight of a real salesman. As Erin McCoy said, “Interactive content can expand your conversion rate to as high as 70%”. And that, our fellow marketers, is your first win! To understand this better, let us study the ‘Running Shoes Finder’ quiz. It sits on the homepage of the Running Shoes Guru website and is unmissable like an in-store sales fella! The quiz asks you 5 questions about your body and preferences to make it all about you. Every question has a help text so that you make the right choice, and in return, they make the right choice for you.
Needless to say, they promise personalized recommendations based on the answers you input. Now, who on Earth would refuse these compelling product recommendations that have all the math and science behind them?
Let’s take the example of another quiz created by Macroscape. If it interests you, read their case study on how they saw a 36% increase in their conversion rates. Talking about the quiz per se, it is highly personalized, given the kind of questions asked and the final result, which is based on the visitor’s personal preferences and habits.
Impart Education With Recommendation QuizzesRemember how we’d wait for our favorite teacher’s lessons at school because they made learning fun? Even their questions, without pointing out explicitly, led us to discover something new? Sounds a little out of context? Let us join the dots for you. Brands can indeed stand out like teachers but only with the help of intelligent questions in the quiz. Your peers agree too and are actively including product quizzes as a part of their content marketing strategy. Confused about how quizzes can be educational? Simple. You ask questions that teach something new to the quiz taker, a kind of self-discovery. Take the What is your Z Gallerie Style Personality quiz, for example. It is both educational in the sense that all the questions about the preferred color combination of interiors, color palette, furniture type, fashion, etc. lead users to envision a house they would like to live in or the kind of products they would actually like to buy. Now, the quiz also makes it possible for Z Gallerie to open up their inventory and recommend multiple products that fit the quiz taker’s personality. For instance, we took the quiz and got ‘Calmly Collected’. We were also advised to “expand” our options by taking a look at styles that were complementary to our style. Overall, we think it is a clever move because you never know what might catch a buyer’s fancy!
Boost Your Lead GenerationEarlier, we had mentioned that a quiz is a customer intelligence tool. We would like to repeat ourselves because there’s no contesting that. A gated quiz is indeed an enormous data-driven sales opportunity. You can build your email list and nurture leads based on the data you collected. But what’s the surety that they will fill up the lead gen form, you may ask? Well, they will because of the operative principle of reciprocity. In other words, to access personalized results all they have to do is reciprocate a gesture of filling the form. Besides even if they took the quiz for fun's sake they are just a lead generation form away from their results! Having said that, we want to tell you that it is not that simple. You need to be careful because filling out a form can be annoying, especially if it is long and asking for irrelevant information. Ask for information that is necessary and helps in customer profiling. Bonus Advice: Once they fill the form, surprise them with a discount on their first purchase. The idea is to make them feel good by being generous enough that it doesn’t hurt your balance sheet.
Make the Shopping Experience Stress-FreeGiven the number of ecommerce websites, shopping is exhausting! Once again, interactive quizzes pull your prospects out of the inevitable misery and make online shopping less nerve-wracking. Apparently, a product quiz eliminates the paradox of choice. It streamlines a customer’s journey and pulls them away from the vast pool of products that overwhelm them. Besides, admit that filtering options may make things easier but it still doesn't result in the kind of customization that a quiz offers. To understand this, let us take a look at the quiz on the Ellen Hutson website. It was created keeping in mind the holiday season craziness. The only thing a user is supposed to do is answer just one question and promptly comes the recommendation!
Some Added Advantages of Ecommerce Recommendations
Improved Customer Engagement With Better UXOne of the best things about interactive content is that it draws the customer to you. Prospects are always looking for data that is meaningful to them, and when they see it, they are automatically captivated by it. A product quiz does just that. It engages the customer because it has something to offer to them. The user experience improves manifold when the recommendations offered are personalized. The best product recommendation quiz is one that is straightforward, contains visual elements, mentions the details of the products recommended, and includes a CTA that guides the user to take the desired step. All of this not only makes the user experience easy but also increases customer satisfaction manifold. Look at this quiz’s results page for example. It has a variety of recommendations, includes proper details of the product, and has a CTA enticing them to take action. This makes the user experience more engaging.
Lead Scoring and SegmentationEveryone wants qualified leads. But, how do we know what qualifies as a qualified lead? In order to get one, you need to set parameters that define your buyer’s persona. Next, use those personas to set a value to each kind of lead that you might generate, and take the necessary steps to retain them. This might seem like a long process, but is a fairly easy task with the right quiz maker by your side. With the data you generate from your ecommerce quiz, you can analyze what a prospect actually wants from you. You can then use this data for lead scoring. Furthermore, you can set different scores for different types of leads and segment them accordingly in order to set customized retargeting campaigns. Goes without saying, better segmentation will lead to better personalization.
Better Customer InsightsCollecting insightful user data is a tough task. However, interactive content makes it a piece of cake. With a product finder quiz, you get to know a lot about your customer’s intentions. From their budget to their requirements, you gather all the information which you can then use to help them (and yourself :p). For example, look at this skincare quiz by Sephora. It asks the user about their criteria of shopping at the beginning. Now, Sephora can segment the leads based on their selections and then retarget the prospects efficiently. They can even set different campaigns for people who are looking for a certain product, or people with a certain skin concern.
Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy! A product quiz thus makes it easier for you to gain valuable insights about your customer in a natural way.
Increased TrafficWhich one would you rather click at? This?
Statistics prove that twice the number of people will click on the latter one. No one wants to read boring guides to pick a pair of sunglasses. They’d rather click on something that makes the work minimal for them. And, ecommerce recommendations do just that. It’s basically everything at one stop. Therefore, the traffic increases manifold, and engagement multiplies.